he 68th Venice International Film Festival ran this year from August 31st through to September 10th. The official selection sections of the festival were:
- Venezia 68 – An international competition of feature films, presented as world premieres
- Out of Competition – Important works by directors already established in previous editions of the Festival
- Orizzonti – The new trends in world cinema
- Controcampo Italiano – The new trends in Italian cinema
- Orizzonti 1960-1978 – Retrospective section on Italian experimental cinema of the 1960s and 1970s
The opening film in the Venezia 68 section was George Clooney’s The Ides of March. The line-up in the section also included Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, starring Gary Oldman and Colin Firth; Carnage, starring Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz andJohn C. Reilly; and A Dangerous Method, starring Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender and Keira Knightley.
Among the official awards of the festival, in the Venezia 68 selection Faust by Aleksander Sokurov won the Golden Lion award for Best Film in the Venezia 68 selection. The Silver Lion for Best Director was awarded to Shangjun Cai for Ren Shan Ren Hai (People Mountain People Sea).
The Special Jury Prize was awarded to Terraferma by Emanuele Crialese while Michael Fassbender took home the Coppa Volpi for Best Actor for his performace in Steve McQueen’s Shame and Deanie Yip won the Coppa Volpi for Best Actress for her performance in Ann Hui’s Tao jie (A Simple Life).
Special recognition awards were awarded to Marco Bellocchio, the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement, and Al Pacino, the Jaeger-LeCoultre Glory to the Filmmaker Award 2011.